Wednesday, December 14, 2016

hibike! euphonium (season 1?)

what is even an euphonium???






Although I'm caught up with season 2, I'll just briefly talk about season 1 and hope that it'll get you to watch ! Though maybe some of my season 2 feelings might leak out lol


After the second or third episode I knew I was hooked. Normally it's difficult for me to get into KyoAni shows, partly due to their plot/genre (slice of life/drama, not a combo I'm often interested in) and their often superficial (at least, to me) emotions. That being said, Hibike! Euphonium is a school life (about a concert band club) drama that has plenty of emotional moments. But the writing and the visuals -- particularly the framing and lighting -- really puts Hibike! Euphonium above other school dramas.


It's difficult to make emotions, internal conflict, and personalities really genuine. Often I feel that its a bit too forced by either the situation or poor writing in many shows. But Hibike! Euphonium is one where I am truly, honestly moved by the characters' raw emotions and struggles, even if they are resulted from typical everyday situations, such as having a crush or not doing well in your after school club activity, or even if they are from characters I disagree or do not empathize with. There are a lot of little really well-written emotional build-ups! It keeps the show from the monotonous vibe many school life shows can sometimes suffer from, and is one of the reasons Hibike! Euphonium is one of the most popular shows of the season (aside from it being a KyoAni show).



Obviously KyoAni has a really high standard when it comes to both animation quality and design. It's known as cute, and yeah, the designs in this show are really (SUPER) cute. But there are two strengths that this show has moreso than the others (though correct me if I'm mistaken). The first is their sequences of very deliberately framed shots, an example of which is given above. They are very well utilized and really strengthen the writing to drive home the feeling!! Second is the lighting. God, there are just some scenes were the lighting is so beautiful I want to cry!!!! Seriously, major props to Ikeda Shoko, Shinohara Mutsuo, Takao Kazuya, Takeda Akiyo, and all those related to the art/animation aspect of the show. Really, really beautiful work. Just the sight of Reina or Asuka playing with everything they have, glowing with a halo of sunlight makes you forgive the queerbaiting (yeah, I watched in hopes of Kumiko/Reina!!! but I stayed for the story/art!! and still waiting for that Kumiko/Reina end!!!!!). Admittedly some of the most outstandingly beautiful moments in terms of lighting are in season 2, but season 1 has good stuff, too!


Anyway, overall a very, very solid show. I'd honestly give it a good 8/10, maybe 9/10 just for episode 14 hehe

No comments:

Post a Comment